Thursday, September 30, 2010

1st New Berserk Commercial


Here it is :


[Analysis after the break]


So yeah here we have the 1st CM that was broadcasted on various Japanese TV networks on the September 28th and 29th during late night (JST). And I know I'm doing things in reverse, but since CM 2 was just released, I wanted to do that one first. 

Thoughts and analysis :
So far this is my favorite commercial, probably because it has footage from what I suspect being 3 different story arc from the manga. I'll review the 3 of them individually : 

  1. 0:00 ~ 0:05
  2. And there we have Griffith right from the start. Many people commented on Youtube how feminine looking Griffith was, but don't really mind as the manga version feature an even more feminine Griffith if you ask me : 
    Volume 21, page 186
    I'm pretty sure this was all intended by Miura in order to show a contrast between Guts, a bulge of muscules and testosterone and him, a skinny pretty (even by female standards) tactician. 
    So anyway, the most important point of that part is the armor he is wearing. I'm going to have to stop there and warn you :MANGA SPOILERS AHEAD.
    Take a good look at the spaulders. Those feathers patter on them. I'm an almost certain that armor set is exclusive to the post-Eclipse human form of Griffith - or should I say, Femto in this case. Moreover, the first time he appears in that armor set is in volume 22, page 28 : 
    Even the overall scene settings fit pretty well : if you crop the picture to the same ratio as the CM, the swords are out of the frame, the angle from which he looks back is about the same, even the weather is close; there's wind in both and the clouds pattern look the same (the color sheme could even be explained by the fact this scene is during morning and the orange light could be the dawn). 
    But most importantly, this is part of the beginning of the Hawk of the Millennium Arc ! We're far past the Golden Age Arc and the Black Swrodman Arc... 
  3. 0:05 ~ 0:08 
  4. Guts Action ! Guts as the Black Swordman should I say, since he is wielding Dragon Slayer and his forearm prosthesis. I still haven't pin pointed where in the manga this part is situated, but I'll find it in due time. Also, now that we know that the leaked pictures from 2009 were indeed genuine, I'd like to divert your attention to the background of that part and compare it with one of the leaked pictures : 
    Again, I think it's safe to assume those two are closely related. Heck judging from the posture, the leaked picture could even be the shot directly after the one in the CM. But it this from the Black Swordman Arc ? Or simply during the intro of the series... I can't really remember. Please let me know if you do. 
  5. 0:10 ~ 0:15
    I'm pretty sure most of you guys know this scene : the parting of Guts with the Band of the Hawk near the end of the Golden Age Arc. Nothing much to say here, except this add another scene to the "arc counter" which is a concept I just thought of. A lot of Golden Age material so far. 


Before ending this, small details about the video : the caption at 0:08, ベルセルク、始動。means something like "Berserk, a start" or "Berserk, beginning".


Oh and one last thing ! Here's my face when I first saw the new anime announcement : 


...more...Berserk ? 



Anonymous Web Developer

Morbi aliquam fringilla nisl. Pellentesque eleifend condimentum tellus, vel vulputate tortor malesuada sit amet. Aliquam vel vestibulum metus. Aenean ut mi aucto.

6 comments:

  1. so its gonna be a new anime release of the manga or a new seasson?

    ReplyDelete
  2. They going to make it from chapter 1 - 1452,58

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't think the picture with Guts cutting the men in half is from any of the first three volumes. He did cut men wearing armour in half, but it was done inside the town and later also inside the counts castle.

    The scene it makes me think about is the one when Guts is fighting the Holy Iron Chain Knights before being captured. Several knights are cut in half inside a forest. What contradicts this is the simpleness of the armours. The Holy Iron Chain Knights had rather fancy armour with two chains crossing at the front. I don't see this when looking at the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  4. @Anon : The first thing I thought when I saw the forest was the one in the Lost Child Arc, but he doesn't even fight humans there. Then I went for somewhere in the first 3 volume, but what you said make sense. I'll try to find that out tonight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. His sword looks to small.
    I dont think it's the dragon slayer

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree regarding the leaked picture, there the image of guts and his sword looks more like volume 7 prepared for death chapter 3. A short way in there is an image of guts with his smaller sword and cloak fighing armered men in the forest. I'm sure there are other scenes similer to this from the golden age ark. So It would seem that the leaked picture is from the golden age ark.

    As for the new commercial with guts and his sword its definitly post eclipse which includes the black swordsman arc. The sword is huge and guts is missing an eye. Beyond that we can only speculate.

    The ending with guts and grifith definitly appears to be from there farewell meeting. So there is quite a swath of potential material here.

    I for one am a huge fan of the blackswordsman arc and the original anime missed many important sections and made the original arc look like a joke. It would be awsume if this anime holds to the manga's true form.

    Eventhough the first anime adaption missed several sections of the manga and kept out many key players like skull knight, fights with villians, subplots and so forth it was still good but also all the more reason to start from scratch and do the whole thing over again.

    ReplyDelete